Thursday, April 16, 2009

From Mommy to Mom to Mother


Yesterday afternoon, I realized that my 5 year old, soon to be six, has crossed the first of many thresholds of growing up. I know this because yesterday I realized he has started calling me "mom". Not mommy, or even momma, just "mom". No you say, why does this happen, or when does this happen. I'm not sure why it happens but it seems that it comes with getting older and the mommy or momma sounds baby-ish to them all of a sudden. And I think it happens at a different age for each child, and my 5 year old may have been calling me this for a while but yesterday was the first time I really noticed and that it really sank in that he is no longer calling me mommy. I realized it because yesterday afternoon I had 6 neighborhood kids in my backyard playing(apparently we have the only swing set/playhouse for a stretch of about 6 houses) and I had the windows open in case of any dire need. So I hear the kids outside playing and all of a sudden I hear this "mo-om" and I thought, "Whose child is that?" And so I hear it again and realize, Oh, that would be my child.......calling me "mom", not "mommy". Hmmm....when did this happen. And I have to admit I got a little sentimental about it. He has been in K-5 this year at public school so has had school all day, and although I enjoy it immensely most of the time, yesterday i found myself wishing that I had more time with him. he is already starting to enter that "don't hug me and for the love of Pete don't kiss me in public" stage so I guess a part of me is going through the process of letting go of my baby to give way to the boy he is going to be, which is exciting and sad all at the same time. when i get caught up in the craziness of everyday, I try to remind myself to enjoy this time, because it will be gone all too soon, and I am just getting the beginning glimpses of how quickly it slips away. After this happened yesterday, ironically enough I got an email this morning about this very happening. I will share it with you.


Mommy to Mom to Mother
Real Mothers don't eat quiche;

they don't have time to make it.


Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils

are probably in the sandbox.


Real Mothers often have sticky floors,

filthy ovens and happy kids.


Real Mothers know that dried play dough

doesn't come out of carpets.


Real Mothers don't want to know what

the vacuum just sucked up.


Real Mothers sometimes ask 'Why me?'

and get their answer when a little voice says, 'Because I love you best.'


Real Mothers know that a child's growth is not measured by height or years or grade...It is marked by the progression of Mommy to Mom to Mother...


The Images of Mother......

4 YEARS OF AGE - My Mommy can do anything!

8 YEARS OF AGE - My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!

12 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.

14 YEARS OF AGE - Mom doesn't know that, either.

16 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother? She's clueless.

18 YEARS OF AGE - That old woman?!

25 YEARS OF AGE - Well, she might know a little bit about it!

35 YEARS OF AGE - Before we decide, let's get Mom's opinion.

45 YEARS OF AGE - Wonder what Mom thinks about it?

65 YEARS OF AGE - Wish I could talk it over with Mom.


0 comments: